Comelec suspends canvassing of votes for partylist groups
Comelec suspended the canvassing of votes for partylists after several queries about the suspended partylists were raised. Video by INQUIRER.net’s Cathy Miranda
MANILA, Philippines –The Commission on Elections en banc sitting as National Board of Canvassers (NBOC) on Tuesday suspended the canvassing of votes for partylist groups.
“We are suspending it because it will delay the canvassing of votes for senators,” Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes said at a press briefing.
“Marami kasing problema ang partylist (There are many issues with the partylists),” Brillantes explained noting that there are still disqualified partylist groups with pending appeal with the Supreme Court.
The suspension came after the NBOC was flooded with questions from partylist groups that took over three hours.
The NBOC is targeting to proclaim all the 12 senators by 7 p.m. Wednesday, exactly 48 hours after the elections Monday.
Previously, the partylist groups A-Ipra, Abang Lingkod, Anad, Ang Galing Pinoy, Atong Paglaum, Senior Citizens, Smart, 1st Kabagis, Bantay, Cocofed, and Binhi were disqualified by the Comelec for the second time.
They have already been disqualified along with 39 others but they appealed to the Supreme Court (SC) which remanded their cases back to Comelec but with new guidelines.
Colmenares had urged the NBOC to consider the votes for disqualified partylists as stray votes.
Brillantes however said that their ruling is “they will be counted conditionally” because they might appeal to the Supreme Court which might issue a temporary restraining order.
Colmenares maintained that it would be unfair to the other legitimate partylists if the votes for the disqualified would still be counted.
Brillantes said that the canvassing for the senatorial positions would be continuous.