Mancao blasts DOJ’s witness program anew
MANILA, Philippines—Fugitive Cezar Mancao II said Tuesday he is glad to be dropped from the Witness Protection Program of the Department of Justice.
In an interview with Radyo Inquirer 990AM, the former police senior superintendent, a co-accused in the Dacer-Corbito murder case, also said he was not satisfied with the protection given to him by the government while under the WPP.
“Kinagagalak ko din na natanggal ako sa protection nila (I’m glad I have been removed from their protection),” Mancao said, adding that he felt he had been “used” and “abused” by the government, the prosecution panel, in particular.
On Monday, a seemingly angry Justice Secretary Leila de Lima announced that they have dropped Mancao from the WPP—a program which the former police officer claimed to be plagued by corruption.
“Doon naman sa paghihimutok din ni Secretary De Lima, of course hindi natin [iniaalis] ‘yon sa kanya. Ganon din naman ako kung tutuusin lang (Regarding Secretary De Lima getting upset we cannot take that away from her. I would feel the same),” he said, noting that he was given only P8,000 monthly allowance while he was under the program.
The amount wasn’t enough, he said.
“Binabawasan pa ko d’yan. Paano naman yung aking rights din na maggawa ng livelihood para sa pamilya ko? Sa sarili ko? Ang daming nawala sa’akin. Ang daming opportunities na lumagpas. Kaya sa akin minarapat ko nang nasa labas at least maka-move on ako,” Mancao said.
(I’m getting deductions on my allowance. How about my rights to earn a living for my family? For myself? I lost many things. Many missed opportunities. So I felt I should get out and move on.)
Mancao said he is not receiving any assistance from any politician.
For the full interview, listen to the attached audio clip from Radyo Inquirer 990AM.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.