outbrain
Close  

2 gunmen attack, kill another bet for mayor

/ 11:10 PM February 23, 2013

LAOAG CITY—Another mayoral candidate in Marcos town was shot dead by two motorcycle-riding men on Saturday in front of the Iglesia ni Cristo church there, police said.

Alfred Arce, an independent candidate, was driving a motorcycle on  the national road in Barangay Fortuna at 2 p.m. when he was attacked by the two men, said Senior Supt. Gerardo Ratuita, officer in charge of the Ilocos regional police.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police said two passengers of a jeepney were hit by stray bullets during the attack.

Arce was the second victim of election-related violence in Ilocos Norte following the failed assassination of reelectionist Marcos Mayor Salvador Pillos earlier this month.

FEATURED STORIES

Arce and Pillos are running in a three-way mayoral race against businessman Arsenio Agustin.

Ratuita said Arce, who was shot in the chest, died on the spot. The wounded were taken to the hospital and were declared out of danger.

Witnesses said the suspects, who wore red helmets and blue jackets, fled. The police recovered spent shells from a     .45 cal. revolver.

The shooting came on the heels of another gun-related incident in Dingras town on Feb. 21 involving a retired policeman, Nestor Persinio, who was killed in front of his home in Barangay Peralta.

The attack on Pillos sent mayors in Ilocos Norte appealing to the Commission on Elections (Comelec) for the return of their bodyguards which the Comelec recalled.

Paoay Mayor Bonifacio Clemente Jr., head of the League of Mayors in the province, said officials, particularly those running for reelection, are defenseless against hired guns.

Clemente said most mayors were moving about without security aides after the Comelec ordered the recall of their police escorts.

ADVERTISEMENT

The mayors’ plea was made during the league’s meeting on Tuesday.

“Some mayors have guns but they are not allowed to use them because of the gun ban,” Clemente said.

“There’s a running joke among mayors that it was more comforting to just use their guns and be jailed for violating the ban than be buried six feet under the ground,” he added. Cristina Arzadon, Inquirer N. Luzon

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: election 2013, Killing, Laoag City, Politics
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.