Sayyaf bandits launch 5th attack on Army detachment in Basilan town
MANILA, Philippines – An Army detachment was attacked by the Abu Sayyaf Group in Basilan Monday, the fifth attack launched by the bandits in three months, the military said.
Captain Alberto Caber of the Army’s First Infantry Division said the Candiis detachment was attacked by around five bandits led by alias Kumander Botong Aleman in Upper Cabengbeng village, Sumisip town at about 9:20 a.m.
The rebels withdrew when soldiers from the 64th Infantry Battalion retaliated with mortar fires.
No casualties were reported so far.
Caber said the detachment was harassed by the same group five times in the last three months.
He also claimed that the rebels wanted to regain possession of the detachment which could serve as their observation post against government troops.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.