GSIS director in former Pagcor board goes on leave
A director of the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) who served in the past board of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) has filed a leave of absence after he was included in the P186 million plunder case the government filed against former Pagcor chair Efraim Genuino and former members of the Pagcor board.
Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda lauded GSIS board member Danilo Gozo’s move to go on leave but added the administration won’t ask the other former Pagcor director in the plunder case—National Telecommunications Commission commissioner Gamaliel Cordoba—to do the same.
“(Whether Cordoba) is staying in NTC or not, it won’t change the fact that documents have already been submitted to the Department of Justice and it could no longer be tampered,” Lacierda said during Tuesday’s news briefing in Malacañang.
Lacierda made the remarks after he was pressed on whether Malacañang should ask Cordoba to also take a leave in line with the administration’s stance against corruption.
“Again, with respect to his decision whether to stay or not, we will leave it to them because there is a presumption of innocence among the respondents,” Lacierda added.
Lacierda said Gozo “has taken the extra mile of taking a leave but it will be dependent on the respondents’ concerned what their decision would be.”
“I know for a fact that Mr. Danny Gozo is already taking a leave of absence from GSIS so as to avoid any appearance of favoritism in so far as being an incumbent official in the GSIS right now. So we welcome the effort or the gesture of Mr. Danny Gozo to take a leave of absence,” Lacierda said.
“As far as Mr. Cordoba is concerned, I’m not aware of what action he plans to do after being charged as one of the respondents in the plunder case,” he added.
Lacierda said Gozo won’t receive any compensation as GSIS director while he is on leave.
“He won’t receive any compensation. And (GSIS board members’) compensation is based on their appearance in the directors’ meeting. So, since he is going to take a leave, he will not be getting any compensation,” Lacierda said.
Lacierda said it would be up to the respondents in the present board’s case against the past Pagcor administration if they would want to testify against Ephraim Genuino, the past chair and plunder respondent.
“The better judge of that will be the lawyers of the respondents. If they have any testimony they can offer… and if it will further again the case against the Pagcor chairman and whatever happened during those times, certainly it would be something they would offer to the Department of Justice,” Lacierda said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.