Close  

DOH alarmed by spike in dengue cases in Davao City

/ 05:39 PM June 26, 2012

DAVAO CITY, Philippines—The Department of Health’s regional office in Southern Mindanao has voiced concern over the sharp increase in dengue cases in Davao City, saying “it has become unmanageably high” with 2,447 cases from January to June 15 this year compared with 1,175 cases during the same period in 2011.

As of June 12, DOH recorded a total of 27 deaths in the city, almost three times the 10 deaths recorded during the same period last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

In fact, Health Secretary Enrique Ona has ordered DOH regional director Abdullah Dumama to intensify monitoring in all areas with more focus on the “dengue hotspots” or clustered areas were cases are more than three namely: Talomo North, Talomo South, Buhangin, Bunawan and Agdao.

Dumama said Davao City has the highest number of cases in the region, with 82 percent of the 3,000 total cases for the entire Davao Region.

FEATURED STORIES

Despite high number of dengue cases, Dumama said it is not considered an outbreak.

According to Dumama, a team from DOH was already deployed to investigate, validate, track cases, inspect possible breeding places and institute control measures.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Davao City, dengue, Health, Regions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.