MMDA: Almost all NCAP violations void during heavy rain, floods

Motorcycle riders negotiate the flooded intersection of Banaue and N.S. Amorante in Quezon City on July 19, 2025, following heavy rain brought about by the northwest monsoon or habagat, intensified by Tropical Storm Crising. — Photo by Grig C. Montegrande/INQUIRER
MANILA, Philippines — Almost all the violations caught under the no-contact apprehension policy (NCAP) of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will be voided as rain continued to pour and flooded most major roads in Metro Manila.
In a virtual Malacañang briefing on Tuesday, MMDA chair Don Artes said that while the enforcement of NCAP will not be suspended, all of the violations caught would still undergo manual validation by their personnel.
“That’s why almost all of the possible violations will be invalidated, especially in flooded portions of roads where traffic signages are not clearly visible. So definitely no apprehensions will take place,” he explained.
But Artes clarified that the implementation of NCAP would be applied on a “case-to-case basis.”
He cited a road accident earlier on Tuesday where the closed-circuit television cameras caught a motorist driving recklessly. The driver would be issued a notice of violation.
“But generally, during these times of inclement weather, we are almost suspending the implementation of NCAP,” Artes said.
READ: Heavy rain to persist in Metro Manila, provinces due to habagat
Heavy rain is expected to persist in several parts of the country on Tuesday due to the southwest monsoon, locally known as habagat, according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa).
In its 11 a.m. heavy rainfall outlook, Pagasa said more than 200 millimeters of rain may fall in Metro Manila from Tuesday until Wednesday noon. /das