DILG-Taguig to handle programs, projects in 10 former Makati barangays
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has ordered the transfer of all its programs, projects, and activities in 10 barangays previously under the jurisdiction of Makati City to its field office in Taguig.
In a statement on Wednesday, DILG chief Benjamin Abalos Jr. said that he issued an order dated October 26 “in light of the conduct of the 2023 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections (BSKE) and succeeding activities that need to be undertaken by the Department with the assumption of new sets of Barangay and Sanggunian Kabataan officials.”
Abalos cited the final ruling of the Supreme Court transferring the jurisdiction of Barangays Cembo, Comembo, East Rembo, Pembo, Pitogo, Post Proper Northside, Post Proper Southside, Rizal, South Cembo, and West Rembo from Makati City to Taguig City.
Abalos said the DILG’s NCR office will be tasked to conduct an inventory and turn-over of Barangay and Sanggunian Kabataan properties, financial records, documents, and financial accountabilities.
Under the memorandum, the office is likewise instructed to submit the newly-elected officials’ documents, such as the Barangay Officials Information Sheet (BOIS), oath of office, and other related reports,
According to Abalos, the directive would be observed after the October 30 polls “in view of the territorial changes under the above-cited Supreme Court Decision consistent with the mandate of the DILG in exercising general supervision over local government units.”
Last October 31, Abalos said winners of the recently concluded barangay and SK elections will be given three weeks to take their oath of office and submit statements of contributions and expenditures before they assume office.
He added that the Memorandum Circular 2023-166 will cover the elected barangay and SK officials nationwide, as he warned that those who will fail to assume office after three weeks might face administrative cases.