INQToday: SC asked to declare OVP’s P125-M secret fund in 2022 unconstitutional
Here’s a quick roundup of today’s top stories:
Legal experts and former government officials lodged a petition asking the Supreme Court to declare as unconstitutional last year’s transfer of P125 million to the Office of the Vice President (OVP) as a confidential fund.
They also urged the high court to order OVP to return the money to the treasury department.
The Senate may restore some or the entire P1.23 billion earlier earmarked as confidential funds of specific government, Senate Majority Leader Joel Villanueva said Tuesday.
If restored, Villanueva explained, the amount would be “itemized” in the Senate version of the proposed P5.768-trillion national budget for 2024.
The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) is preparing for the possibility of receiving a higher budget allocation for 2024 in terms of protecting the West Philippine Sea (WPS), as the House of Representatives allocated a part of the slashed confidential funds (CF) to the agency.
During the hearing of the House special committee on the West Philippine Sea on Tuesday, Rizal 2nd District Emigdio Tanjuatco III asked agencies if the House’s decision to realign P1.23 billion of the CFs to offices securing the WPS had any effect already.
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Tuesday arrested alleged cult Socorro Bayanihan Services Inc. (SBSI) leader Jey Rence Quilario or “Senior Agila.”
Quilario was arrested along with 12 other SBSI officials as they faced 21 cases for Qualified Trafficking in Persons, Facilitation of Child Marriage, Solemnization of Child Marriage, and Child Abuse.
Over 200 children have allegedly died at Sitio Kapihan in Surigao del Norte, the enclave where the alleged cult Socorro Bayanihan Services Inc. (SBSI) is situated, said Senator Risa Hontiveros on Tuesday.
Hontiveros made the pronouncement during a Senate committee on public order and dangerous drugs hearing on SBSI, where she claimed informants had told her staff that at least 200 children died in the enclave.
President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. is set to travel to the Indo-Pacific command of the United States (US) in Hawaii.
He will take the trip during his US visit on November 14.