Dismissal of 8 cops in Navotas teen’s murder sought
The Internal Affairs Service (IAS) of the Philippine National Police has recommended the dismissal from service of eight police officers involved in the operation that killed 17-year-old Jerhode “Jemboy” Baltazar in Navotas City last month.
In a resolution, the IAS recommended that Executive Master Sgt. Roberto Balais Jr., Staff Sergeants Antonio Bugayong Jr., Gerry Maliban and Nikko Pines Esquillon, Cpl. Edmard Jake Blanco and Pat. Benedict Mangada be dismissed.
IAS inspector general Alfegar Triambulo said the operation’s two team leaders, Captains Mark Joseph Carpio and Luisito Dela Cruz were also recommended dismissed.
The eight were among the police officers who took part in the Aug. 2 police operation in Barangay NBBS Kaunlaran, where they mistook Baltazar for Reynaldo Bolivar, a murder suspect they were pursuing.
The IAS submitted a copy of the resolution to the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO), which has the authority to approve its recommendation.
NCRPO chief Brig. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. may approve, reject or modify the recommendation of the IAS. The dismissal may also be appealed before the National Appellate Board.
The IAS is still finalizing the administrative charges against Col. Allan Umipig, the relieved Navotas police chief, and 22 other police personnel who joined the operation.
The IAS earlier recommended the filing of the administrative complaint of dishonesty against Umipig after discovering an alleged coverup in the investigation.
Based on the IAS investigation, Umipig directed the team leader to exclude 11 police officers from the report on the shooting incident. The former Navotas police chief denied the allegation.
Triambulo said that once dismissed from service, the police officers’ benefits would be forfeited and their career service eligibility revoked. They would also be perpetually disqualified from holding any government post.