Pagasa: Typhoon Goring intensifies, Signal No. 4 in part of Babuyan Islands
MANILA, Philippines — Tropical cyclone wind signal (TCWS) No. 4 (typhoon-force winds with significant to severe threat to life and property) has been raised over the northeastern part of Babuyan Islands as Typhoon Goring (international name: Saola) intensified slightly on Tuesday afternoon, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) reported on Tuesday.
Pagasa, in its 5 p.m. typhoon bulletin, said that Goring was spotted some 165 kilometers (kms.) east of Calayan, Cagayan, with a maximum wind speed of 165 km per hour (kph) and gusts of up to 205 kph while moving west-northwest at 10 kph.
Signal No 3. (storm-force winds with moderate threat to life and property)
- Southern portion of Batanes (Sabtang, Uyugan, Ivana, Mahatao, Basco),
- Rest of Babuyan Islands.
Signal No.2 (gale-force winds; minor to moderate threat to life and property)
- Rest of Batanes,
- Northeastern portion of mainland Cagayan (Santa Ana, Gonzaga, Santa Plaxedes, Claveria, Sanchez Mira, Pamplona, Abulug, Ballesteros, Aparri, Buguey, Camalaniugan, Santa Teresita, Allacapan, Lal-Lo, Lasam, Gattaran, Baggao, and Peñablanca),
- Northern portion of Ilocos Norte (Pagudpud, Adams, Bangui, Dumalneg),
- Northern portion of Apayao (Calanasan, Luna, Santa Marcela, Flora, Pudtol)
Signal No. 1 (strong winds; minimal to minor threat to life and property)
- Northern and eastern portions of Isabela (Dinapigue, San Mariano, Ilagan City, Tumauini, San Pablo, Cabagan, Maconacon, Divilacan, Palanan, Santa Maria, Santo Tomas, Quezon, Delfin Albano),
- Rest of Ilocos Norte
- Rest of Cagayan
- Rest of Apayao
- Northern portion of Abra (Tineg, Lagayan, Lacub, Malibcong)
- Northern portion of Kalinga (Balbalan, Pinukpuk, Rizal, City of Tabuk)
Landfall, rainfall forecasts
Based on the latest forecast track, Pagasa said Goring may either “pass very close” or make landfall in Batanes between Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning.
Heavy rainfall ranging from 100 to 200 millimeters should be expected in Babuyan Islands, while rainfall from 50 to 100 mm may persist in Batanes, Ilocos Norte, the northern portion of Abra, the northern portion of Apayao and the northern and eastern portions of mainland Cagayan.
Click here for more weather related news.