‘No decision yet’ on hosting Afghan refugees, says Palace
MANILA, Philippines — There is no ruling yet on whether or not government will allow Afghans to stay in the Philippines.
This information came from Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Secretary Cheloy Garafil on Tuesday.
Asked by reporters if President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has made up his mind on hosting the foreigners, she said there is “no decision yet.”
In October last year, United States (US) had requested Philippines to receive the Afghans whose applications to enter the US are being processed.
Government officials have voiced different concerns on the matter, with some of them raising concerns about security.
Marcos had previously said consultations were being held.
The Afghans are US supporters who are fleeing the Taliban government in Afghanistan.
Senator Imee Marcos had revealed the request by US government.
She had filed a resolution that led to a Senate investigation on the issue.