257 residents evacuated in Occidental Mindoro town due to floods
CITY OF CALAPAN — More than 250 residents from two villages in Sablayan town in Occidental Mindoro were evacuated on Wednesday night because of the sudden rise of flood triggered by the southwest monsoon rains or “habagat.”
A pre-emptive evacuation of 257 individuals (73 families) from Sitio (sub-village) Pandan in Barangay Claudio Salgado and Barangay Tagumpay was implemented around 9 p.m., Mark Jayson Tarinay, operation and warning staff officer at the municipal disaster risk reduction management office, said in a phone interview on Thursday, August 10.
The two villages are close to the West Philippine Sea, he said.
Forty-nine families (181 individuals) from Sitio Pandan in Barangay Claudio Salgado were brought to their daycare evacuation center.
Meanwhile, as of 9:30 a.m. Thursday, all the 24 families (76 individuals), who evacuated to their barangay hall in Tagumpay, returned home when the flood subsided.
Only 30 individuals (14 families) from Sitio Pandan remained at the daycare evacuation center in Claudio Salgado, said Tarinay.
The town was placed under a state of calamity last month after rains brought by Typhoon Egay (international name: Doksuri) triggered floods, causing massive losses in agriculture.