Bongbong Marcos rescinds deal with China to withdraw BRP Sierra Madre: If it does exist
MANILA, Philippines — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Wednesday reiterated that there is no deal to withdraw the BRP Sierra Madre from Ayungin Shoal, and should any agreement exist, he rescinds it.
“I’m not aware of any such arrangement or agreement that the Philippines will remove from its own territory its own ship, in this case, the BRP Sierra Madre from the Ayungin Shoal,” said Marcos in a video from the Presidential Communications Office.
“And let me go further, if there does exist such an agreement, I rescind that agreement as of now,” Marcos added.
This comes after the Chinese Coast Guard brazenly attacked Filipino vessels in the West Philippine Sea.
Afterwhich, China claimed that the Philippines agreed to withdraw the BRP Sierra Madre several times, but did not specify which government leader or agency made such vows. Both Malacañang and the Department of Foreign Affairs had denied China’s claims.
Marcos had previously said that another note verbale has been sent to China following the water cannon incident.
“We continue to assert our sovereignty. We continue to assert our territorial rights in the face of all of these challenges, and consistent with the international law, and Unclos (United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea) especially,” the President previously said.
The water cannon attack drew widespread condemnation from Philippine government leaders, as well as international allies such as the United States and Japan.