Mayon unrest: Bongbong Marcos urges gov’t to address non-cash needs of affected families
MANILA, Philippines — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Thursday urged national government agencies also to examine the non-cash needs of Albay families affected by Mayon Volcano’s unrest.
Marcos Jr. has already assured that the government will provide Albay residents aid, as evacuation is expected to take months. However, the President pointed out that cash aid is not the only concern.
“Ang sinasabi ko, ang instruction ko sa kanila, pag-aralan niyo nang mabuti hindi ‘yung basta bigay kayo nang bigay ng pera. Kailangan tingnan ninyo ano ba problema para maayos natin kung ano ‘yung problema nila. And if it takes cash, then that’s good. Well and good. But sometimes, it’s not cash,” Marcos Jr. said in an ambush interview at the Edsa Shangri-la.
(I said my instruction to them is to examine it well, do not just keep giving cash. You need to look at the problem well so we can fix what that problem is. And if it takes cash, then that’s good. Well, and sound. But sometimes, it’s not cash.)
Marcos Jr. pointed to the kids who cannot study due to the Mayon Volcano’s activities, saying that some issues are not as quantifiable.
“The issues of mental health, of those children, even the parents. We need to think about that because they are going through a hard time. So we have to give all the support that we can,” said Marcos Jr. in a mix of English and Filipino.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development had already distributed 153,000 food packs to affected families. Due to the Mayon Volcano’s activities, the government is bracing for evacuation that would last months.