Suspect in Oriental Mindoro radioman’s killing exposed via photo on motorbike U-box – police
MANILA, Philippines — The gunman responsible for the killing of a radio commentator in Oriental Mindoro has been identified through a single photo discovered in his motorcycle’s top box, according to Friday’s police report.
Police Colonel Samuel Delorino, director of the Police Provincial Office of Oriental Mindoro, said that a witness positively identified the “riding-in-tandem gunman” who killed Cresenciano Aldovino Bunduquin, a radio commentator shot in front of a store he owned along C5 road in Barangay Santa Isabel early Wednesday morning.
The suspects abandoned the motorcycle after killing the radio commentator, which was later recovered by the authorities.
“Meron po tayong nakuha na mga picture doon sa loob ng u-box na ginamit na motor,” Delorino said in a Teleradyo interview.
(We obtained pictures inside the U-box of the motorcycle used in the crime.)
Authorities later learned the motorcycle was sold to the suspect by the registered owner in 2016, Delorino said.
“Bago kami nag come-up ay pinuntahan muna namin kung sino ang tunay na may ari ng motor na nakarehistro sa kanya. Pinuntahan po natin, at sinabi po nila na, yun po ay 2016 pa ay wala na sa kanila at ang gumagamit na nito ay ang person of interest na natin,” he said.
(Before we came up with this, we went to the owner of the motorcycle based on the registration papers. We went there and they told us that they haven’t had the motorcycle since 2016 and that its owner is the person of interest.)
He said the primary witness positively identified the suspect after seeing the picture.
As of present, however, Delorino said the gunman is nowhere to be found.
“Finallow up natin sa mga kung saan siya nakatira, sa lahat ng pinupuntahan niya at pinagtanong-tanong din natin. Eh wala na doon sa lugar. Hindi na natin makita at talagang nagtatago eh. Kung siya ay walang kinalaman ay dapat lumantad siya, di ba po?” he wondered.
(We followed up on his whereabouts in all the places he had been to and asked people about him. But he is no longer in the area. We didn’t see him, and he was already in hiding. If he has nothing to do with this, he should show himself, right?)
The gunman’s accomplice, who was driving a motorcycle, succumbed to head injuries after being chased by Bunduquin’s son, who collided with their motorcycle.
Both were not wearing helmets when they reported the crime.
“Itong mga ito ay walang helmet eh. Wala man lang cover sa mukha kaya positively na na-identify ng ating witness,” Delorino pointed out.
(These suspects had no helmets. They did not have face covers, so the witness positively identified them.)
Meanwhile, Delorino said police would talk with Bunduquin’s son on Friday for more details.
“Yung anak na humabol, kukunan na natin ng statement kasi dalawang araw na nakaraan ay hindi natin makunan dahil medyo shocked pa sya. Hindi pa sya makausap nang maganda,” he said.
(We will now get a statement from his son, who chased the suspects because we could not talk with him two days ago because he is still in shock. He could not be properly talked with.)
The official said investigators are looking into two possible angles.
“Ang nakikita natin dito ay yung ano, ang possible talaga na pwede nating tignan ay itong may personal na galit sa kanya at saka yung hard-hitting commentator [sic] niya sa kanyang online media. Lahat po ay tinitingnan natin,” he also said.
(What we see as possible angles are – someone might have personal anger towards him, possibly due to his hard-hitting comments as a commentator on online media. We are looking into all of these.)