Rainfall in Mindanao, Visayas may bring possible flooding, landslides — Pagasa
MANILA, Philippines — Continued rainfall in Visayas and Mindanao due to a low pressure area (LPA) may cause possible flooding and landslides in low-lying and mountainous areas, according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa).
Pagasa weather specialist Grace Castañeda reported on Tuesday forecast that the LPA was last spotted at 3 a.m., 490 km from Davao City.
“Pag-iingat para sa ating mga kababayan sa posibilidad ng mga pagbaha at pagguho ng lupa, lalong lalo na yan sa mga low lying areas sa mga malapit sa ilog, sapa, at mga bulubunduking lugar, maging sa mga areas rin na tuloy-tuloy na nakakaranas ng mga pag-ulan,” said Castañeda.
(Citizens should be careful on the possibility of flooding and landslides, especially those in low lying areas near rivers, creeks, and mountainous places, and those in areas experiencing continued rainfall.)
Pagasa predicted that Mindanao and the majority of Visayas can continue to expect scattered rainfall, lightning, and thunder on Tuesday.
“Ngayong araw, ang buong bahagi ng Mindanao maging ang Central at Eastern Visayas ay makakaranas ng mga kalat-kalat na pag-ulan, pagkidlat at pagkulog, dulot yan ng LPA at ng intertropical convergence zone (ITCZ),” she said.
(Today, the entirety of Mindanao, as well as Central and Eastern Visayas, will experience scattered rain, lightning, and thunder due to the LPA and ITCZ.)
The ITCZ refers to the collision of winds from the northern and southern hemispheres, according to Pagasa.
Luzon, on the other hand, can expect continued humidity and heat amid generally fair weather. Castañeda attributed this to the continued effects of Pacific Ocean easterlies in the country’s northern island group.
No gale warnings were raised over any of the country’s seaboards.
Forecast temperature range in key cities / areas on Tuesday are as follows:
- Metro Manila: 25 to 35 degrees Celsius
- Baguio City: 18 to 26 degrees Celsius
- Laoag City: 25 to 34 degrees Celsius
- Tuguegarao: 24 to 36 degrees Celsius
- Legazpi City: 25 to 32 degrees Celsius
- Puerto Princesa City: 25 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Tagaytay: 23 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Kalayaan Islands: 26 to 32 degrees Celsius
- Iloilo City: 29 to 33 degrees Celsius
- Cebu: 26 to 32 degrees Celsius
- Tacloban City: 25 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Cagayan De Oro City: 26 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Zamboanga City: 24 to 35 degrees Celsius
- Davao City: 25 to 33 degrees Celsius
Click here for more weather related news.