DILG chief to Azurin: CCTV video speaks for itself; bolsters cover-up plan on drug case
MANILA, Philippines — Interior Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. said on Tuesday that the CCTV footage “speaks for itself” and showed what transpired in the alleged attempt to cover up the irregularities committed by police officers during the seizure of P6.7-billion worth of “shabu” (crystal meth) in October last year.
On April 17, Philippine National Police chief Gen. Rodolfo Azurin Jr. said there was no plan to cover up the arrest of now-dismissed Police Master Sergeant Rodolfo Mayo Jr., who yielded 990 kilograms of shabu last year and no attempt to delay the investigation on the case.
In response, Abalos reiterated his claim that the “video in itself is a testament of what transpired.”
“In law, there is the principle of res ipsa loquitur. The thing speaks for itself,” he said in a statement.
“While I respect General Azurin, I am sure he agrees with me that the public deserves to know the truth. Hindi lamang sa isyu ng 42 kilos kundi higit sa lahat sa kung ano ang nangyari sa 900 kilos na nakumpiska,” Abalos added.
(Not only on the issue of the 42 kilograms [of shabu] but on what happened to the 900 kilos that were confiscated.)
Earlier, Azurin reminded the secretary of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and those involved to “focus on the real enemy, which is the shabu and the drug syndicates.” He also said that the morale of the police force had gone low due to the cover-up allegations involving its high-ranking officials.
On April 10, Abalos revealed the names of 10 police officers allegedly involved in the alleged shabu cover-up as seen in a series of CCTV footage. The DILG chief also claimed that he believes more police officers are involved in the case.
“I trust that the Napolcom [National Police Commission] will investigate thoroughly as per its mandate,” he said in the same statement.