‘Casting director’ in Degamo slay case gets indicted for murder raps
MANILA, Philippines — A panel of prosecutors has indicted Marvin Miranda, tagged as one of the masterminds in the killing of Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo and eight others.
Miranda will face nine counts of murder charges, 13 counts of frustrated murder, and four counts of attempted murder.
“The state prosecutors found that Miranda conspired in the commission of the crimes and recommended his indictment, together with accused Antipolo, Isturis, Javier, Pattaguan, E. Gonyon, and JL.Gonyon, who [were] previously charged in court,” read the briefer from the Department of Justice (DOJ).
The DOJ refers to Rogelio Antipolo Jr., Winrich B. Isturis, Joven Calibjo Javier, Eulogio Gonyon Jr., and John Louie Gonyon, the other suspects who issued extra-judicial confessions mentioning Miranda played an indispensable part in recruiting men, planning, and assassinating Degamo.
Miranda was arrested on March 27 after weeks of being pursued by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
Remulla said Miranda has managed to leave Negros Oriental and fly to Mindanao through a helicopter “care of Rep. Arnolfo Teves.”
Who is Marvin Miranda?
The other suspects described him as “Boss Marvin.”
Remulla said Miranda is an Army reservist previously convicted of illegally possessing firearms.
The DOJ chief said Miranda has managed to stay out of prison despite his conviction after he entered a plea to a lesser offense, which is why he was out on probation.
In 2020, he was arrested by members of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) for transporting firearms to Negros. CIDG-Western Visayas intercepted Miranda and a soldier at the Caticlan Jetty Port.