LIST: Alternative routes during Holy Week
MANILA, Philippines — Several local government units implemented a traffic rerouting scheme for motorists during the observance of Holy Week.
Holy Week is an important religious event in the Philippines, particularly for Catholics, as it is the most sacred week in the liturgical year in Christianity.
During its observance, devout Catholics conduct and participate in several Holy Week activities, including Pabasa ng Pasyon (Reading of the Passion), processions, senakulo, salubong and saboy.
In Metro Manila, apart from the announced suspension of the number coding scheme — which begins from April 5, 5:00 p.m. to April 10 — some local governments also announced rerouting schemes to give way to Holy Week activities.
In Makati, the city government advisory implemented a traffic rerouting plan on April 5 (Holy Wednesday) and April 7 (Good Friday) in Barangay Poblacion amid a procession conducted by Sts. Peter and Paul Church.
From 4:00 p.m., motorists were advised to take the following routes:
- Along Kalayaan Ave. from Manila: Take a right turn to Nicanor Garcia St. (Reposo St.), then left to Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., then go straight to Buendia-Kalayaan Flyover on EDSA for vehicles bound for Pasig, Taguig, and Cubao or turn right to EDSA for those going to Pasay-Parañaque directions
- Along J.P. Rizal Ave. from EDSA, take a left turn to Estrella St., then right to EDSA, right to Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., right to Nicanor Garcia St. (Reposo St.), then go straight to J.P. Rizal Ave. if heading to A.P. Reyes Ave. or Delpan St. Drivers along Gil Puyat Ave. may also go straight to Osmeña Highway if heading to Pasay City
Public Safety Department traffic enforcers will manage traffic near the Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge during the procession. Expect delays of up to 1 hour or more since a stop-and-go scheme will be implemented.
Makati City also released a list of other processions in which other devout Catholics can participate.
#ProudMakatizens, narito ang listahan at ruta ng mga Kalbaryo sa Poblacion na maaari ninyong bisitahin ngayong Holy…
On the other hand, Pasig City, in an advisory, warned of heavy traffic in the following areas and advised motorists to reroute amid several processions which began as early as March 31 and will extend until April 5, 7, and 9:
- R. Jabson St. (Bambang, Malinao)
- M. H. Del Pilar St. (San Nicolas, Sto. Tomas)
- E. Angeles St. (Sagad)
- Dr. Pilapil St. (Sagad)
- Dr. Sixto Antonio Ave. (Kapasigan)
- A. Mabini St. (Kapasigan)
- Plaza Rizal Intersection
- P. Burgos St.
- Lopez Jaena St.
- Dr. Garcia St.
The roads, said the city government, will be closed portion by portion.
Motorists are advised to take the following routes:
- All vehicles from Bagumbayan/San Joaquin going to Pasig Mega Market:
- Take Elisco Rd., left to M. Jimenez St., to cross Kalawaan Bridge, turn right to F. Antonio St., then left to Balderrama St., to destination
- Or take R. Jabson St. by turning right to G. Raymundo St. then left to F. Manalo St., then right to Caruncho Ave., to destination
- All vehicles from Bagumbayan/San Joaquin going to Rotonda:
- Take M. Concepcion St., then right to C-5 road to destination
- Or take M. Concepcion St., then turn right to F. Flores St. to cross Kaunlaran Bridge left to Lopez Jaena St., left to Sta. Rosa bridge to destination
- All vehicles from Pasig Mega Market going to San Joaquin/Bagumbayan:
- Take Road 2, turn right to Caruncho Ave. then left to F. Manalo St., left to F. Antonio St., right to Pio Alvarez St., right to Elisco Rd. to destination
- All vehicles from Rotonda going to San Joaquin/Pateros:
- Take C-5 road, U-turn at Kalayaan elevated U-turn slot, turn right to San Guillermo St. straight to M. Concepcion St., to destination
- Or take C-5 road, turn left to Flores St., right to Pvt. Aurellana St., then left to Intalan st to Cross Sta. Rosa br., right to Lopez Jaena St., turn left to E. Santos St. Right to R. Jabson St. to destination
- All vehicles from Pasig Mega Market going to Rotonda:
- Take Market Ave., turn left to Mercedes Ave., then left to C. Raymundo Ave. to destination
- All vehicles from Rotonda going to Pasig Mega Market:
- Take C. Raymundo Ave., then turn right to Mercedes Ave., right to Market Ave., to destination
Heads up, Pasigueños!On March 31, April 3, 5, 7, and 9, expect heavy traffic on the following roads to give way to the…
Meanwhile, the Navotas city government said in an advisory that an influx of churchgoers is expected on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, specifically, in Barangay Bangkulasi, at the Bahay ng Mahal na Señor.
The city announced that it would close M. Naval Street and North Bay Boulevard, from C4 Road to Lapu-Lapu Avenue from 6 p.m. on April 6, to 7 p.m. on April 7, advising motorists to take R-10 as an alternative route.
Some provincial governments also implemented traffic schemes, including the municipality of Marilao Bulacan, which in a traffic advisory, announced a one-way traffic scheme in M. Villarica Road (Doña Juana) to Muzon, San Jose Del Monte from April 5 to 7 and 9.
It then advised motorists to take alternative routes going to Metro Manila.
For its part, the municipality of Manaoag in Pangasinan closed portions of the streets of Barangay Poblacion from April 6 to 9 to give way to Holy Week activities, advising motorists to reroute.
Manaoag also implemented a truck ban in the same period.
Meanwhile, the municipality of Agoo in La Union will close its National Highway on April 7, Good Friday, at 4:00 p.m. to give way to a procession.
Motorists were advised to take alternative routes.
The municipality of Balaoan also announced the temporary closure of its National Highway in Barangay Antonino to give way to a procession on April 7 at 6:00 p.m.
In Albay, the municipality of Libon implemented a traffic rerouting scheme for motorists and passengers bound to and from Libon, Albay.
The rerouting scheme will be implemented on the following dates and times:
- April 5 (Holy Wednesday), noon — Way of the Cross
- April 5 (Holy Wednesday), 5:00 p.m. — Procession of Pasos
- April 7 (Good Friday), 5:00 p.m. — Procession of Pasos
- April 7 (Good Friday), 10:00 p.m. — Soledad
The municipality of Casiguran in Aurora also asked motorists to reroute as it implemented a one-way traffic scheme in the Poblacion area starting April 6 to April 7, from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Meanwhile, Liwayway St. will be closed to all vehicles in observance of Holy Week.
Traffic Re-Routing in Poblacion Area in observance of Semana Santa 2023Starting on April 6 to April 7, 2023. 6:00 AM…
Lapu-Lapu City, for its part, imposed a one-way traffic scheme in Santa Rosa proper.
Starting Holy Wednesday, April 5 all motorists were advised to take the following routes:
- In all vehicles coming from the Santa Rosa Cause, turn right if you are going to Sabang Road, Talima Road and make a left turn in front of the Santa Rosa Barangay Hall
- For vehicles coming from San Vicente Road, make a right turn in front of the Santa Rosa Barangay Hall
- For vehicles coming from Sabang Road, turn right at the Island Bakeshop intersection if you are going to the Port; if you are going to the Church, enter St. Augustine Parish Road and exit at the Palawan Pawnshop or Westland.
- For vehicles coming from Tingo-Talima Road, turn right if you are going to Pantalan, Sabang, or San Vicente Roads.
The City of Iloilo also implemented a rerouting scheme for motorists and passengers bound to and from Guimaras Island on April 7, Good Friday.
In Zamboanga City, roads leading to the Mayor Cesar C. Climaco Freedom Park in Abong-Abong, Upper Pasonanca in Zamboanga City will be under a rerouting scheme from April 5 to 9, 2023.
All vehicles will also not be allowed to enter the park during the Holy Week, especially on Holy Wednesday, Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
LOOK| Traffic rerouting scheme that will be implemented on roads leading to the Mayor Cesar C. Climaco Freedom Park in…