BI exec: 2 Chinese men nabbed for explosives, firearm in Bukidnon have no work visas
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — The two Chinese nationals apprehended by operatives of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in Libona town last week were found to have no proper work visas while allegedly engaging in illegal mining activities, according to the records from the Bureau of Immigration (BI) in Northern Mindanao.
CIDG identified those arrested as Wang Ping Yi, alias “Lao Wang,” 62, and Wu Chun Mao, who also used the name “Lao Wo,” 59.
Both foreigners are currently residing in a housing subdivision in Barangay Macasandig here.
CIDG also identified their alleged Filipino accomplice as Junnel Ermita, 35, a security guard and resident of Barangay Lumbia.
The suspects were arrested by a joint team of CIDG and municipal police in Zone 6, Manlauyan, Barangay Gango, Libona, Bukidnon on March 24.
Taken from their possession were a caliber .38 revolver pistol and five of its bullets, three sacks containing 25 kilos of ammonium nitrate, two boxes containing 100 pieces of plain detonators or blasting caps, 11 rolls of electrical tape, 31 pieces of detonating cord estimated to be12 foot long and with an attached blasting cap, 13 bundles of transparent plastics, 68 pieces of transparent plastics containing ammonium nitrate, 40 pieces of blasting caps and pieces of detonating cords, each with an attached blasting cap.
Capt. Noel Oclarit of the CIDG Misamis Oriental provincial field unit said the confiscated items were allegedly being used in illegal mining operations using “high explosive materials” that caused damages and mass destruction of environmental resources in Barangay Gango, Libona, Bukidnon.
Oclarit said the suspects would be facing charges for violating Republic Act 10591 for illegally possessing firearms and ammunition and Republic Act 9516 for illegally possessing explosives.
Melody Penelope Gonzales, both the deputy chief for administration and head of operations of the BI in Mindanao based in Davao City, said Wang and Wu were found to be working without a visa, as they had been overstaying and had been considered as “undesirable aliens.”
In a Viber message to Felipe Alano Jr., the alien control officer (ACO) for the BI’s Cagayan de Oro district, Gonzales asked the CIDG to write ACO in Cagayan de Oro to request a transfer of custody for the suspects if they [Chinese nationals] would post bail.
In a separate interview, Alano said Wang and Wu arrived in the Philippines in June 2022 holding only tourist visas, but his office had no record of the two aliens extending their stay in the country.
“Upon checking our records here in Cagayan de Oro, we found out that they have not extended their visa. But I don’t know if they have extended it in other BI offices,” he said.
He added that they were still verifying whether the two Chinese nationals had their tourist visas extended in other BI offices in Mindanao.
Because Wang and Wu were arrested for violations of RA 10591 and RA 9516, they are now considered undesirable aliens, Alano said.
“I think the violation of RA 9516, which can be linked to anti-terrorism, because of the explosives, is already a ground for deportation. But they have to serve the penalty first if proven guilty of the crimes,” he said.
2 Chinese nationals arrested in raid on another unlicensed COVID-19 hospital in Pampanga
17 Chinese with no work permits nabbed in Bukidnon
CIDG arrests 8 Chinese for kidnapping 2 Chinese
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.