Romualdez wants probe into absence of Degamo’s security the day he was killed
MANILA, Philippines — Speaker Martin Romualdez on Sunday called for a House investigation into the “highly suspicious” absence of Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo’s security during the day of his murder.
According to Romualdez in a statement, who called on the House Committee on Public Order and Safety to investigate, five out of the six police escorts of Degamo did not show up for duty on March 4, 2023, the day when a group of armed men attacked Degamo right inside his home, killing him along with eight other individuals.
READ: 5 out of 6 PNP personnel guarding Degamo were absent during his killing — Ejercito
“Gov. Degamo had earlier reported to the police about the threats to his life so it stands to reason that his security detail should have implemented stricter measures to ensure his safety,” said Romualdez in a statement.
“That’s why it’s highly suspicious why these police escorts were missing on the day he was killed,” he added.
Romualdez theorized that the perpetrators were aware that Degamo had no protection during that day, making him vulnerable to assassination.
Romualdez then explained that the congressional inquiry would seek not only to uncover the reason for the questionable actions of the Philippine National Police (PNP) security personnel assigned to Gov. Degamo but also to ensure that all government officials in danger are provided adequate protection.
“We want to find out why most of Gov. Degamo’s PNP security details went missing on that fateful day. We don’t want to blindly accuse anyone but the circumstances apparently point to collusion between some members of the PNP and the perpetrators of this dastardly crime,” he said.
He also noted parallels between the killing of Degamo and the 2019 assassination of Ako Bicol Party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe. Despite threats to his life, two out of three of his police escorts were pulled out days before he was fatally shot.
“If we find out in this congressional inquiry that some PNP personnel were in cahoots with the perpetrators to remove the security protection of Gov. Degamo, we will recommend the filing of appropriate criminal charges against everyone involved,” Romualdez warned.
Degamo slay planned since December
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.