Army: Two Quezon towns now ‘insurgency-free’
MANILA, Philippines — Quezon towns General Nakar and Infanta have been declared free from the presence of the communist New People’s Army, the Philippine Army said on Thursday.
On Monday, the local governments of General Nakar and Infanta held a ceremonial signing in General Nakar Municipal Hall and Infanta Municipal Covered Court, respectively, attended by key officials.
The programs included signing a “pledge of commitment” and the redeclaration of the Communist Party of the Philippines, its armed wing NPA, and its political wing National Democratic Front, as persona non grata in the said towns.
“These milestones are a testament to the effectiveness of the continuous and focused localized peace engagement efforts with our key stakeholders and security partners in the area,” said Second Infantry Division Commander Roberto Capulong in a statement.
“We will continue to relentlessly work to sustain our gains and extend our peace efforts to other areas still affected by insurgency,” Capulong added.
Earlier this year, also declared insurgency-free in Quezon Province are the municipalities of Alabat, Unisan, Gumaca, San Narciso, Perez and Quezon. — Kimberly D. Albaño, trainee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.