Ilocos region tallies 97 new COVID-19 cases on first week of 2023
LAOAG CITY, Ilocos Norte—The first week of 2023 saw 97 new COVID-19 cases in the Ilocos region, data from the regional Department of Health (DOH) showed on Monday, Jan. 9.
According to DOH, despite the increased gatherings during the holiday season, the 97 new cases were 24.2 percent lower than the cases reported between Dec. 25 and Dec. 31.
Out of the new cases, no new severe or critical cases were reported by the health department.
From Jan. 1 to 7, the DOH verified two deaths due to the virus.
So far, health facilities across the region are treating six confirmed severe and critical cases.
Health facilities catering to COVID-19 patients in the region remained operating at a “safe” level, with 18 of the 218 intensive care unit (ICU) beds set aside for suspect, probable, and confirmed cases occupied.
The DOH said that 164 of the 1,258 non-ICU beds were also occupied.
In a separate bulletin on Monday, independent pandemic monitor OCTA Research said that the provinces of Pangasinan and La Union were among the areas in the country that had the newest COVID-19 cases on Jan. 8, with seven and six cases, respectively.
As of Sunday, the region’s total COVID-19 caseload is 146,624. INQ
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.