Total fireworks injuries skyrocket on New Year’s Eve with 85 new cases
MANILA, Philippines — The number of fireworks-related injuries skyrocketed during New Year’s Eve after 85 additional cases were logged by sentinel hospitals nationwide, the Department of Health (DOH) said in its Sunday–New Year’s Day–report.
This brings the total caseload to 137 from 52 the previous day.
The current number is the total of cases collated from December 21 to January 1.
However, the current figure is 15 percent lower compared to the same period in 2021.
Metro Manila reported the most number of victims with 64 cases, accounting for 47 percent of the injuries.
Most of the victims are also male, comprising 78 percent of the injuries (107 cases).
Of the said cases, 41 cases or 30 percent sustained eye injuries while six cases or four percent had blast or burn injuries, which led to an amputation.
Most of the injuries are due to “boga” (an improvised cannon made of bamboo and PVC pipes) as well as kwitis. Boga and kwitis each accounted for 19 percent (26 cases each) of all cases.
Meanwhile, there was no reported case due to stray bullet injury.
52 firecracker-related injuries, so far; ‘boga’ blast leading cause — DOH
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.