Bongbong Marcos urged: Declare national state of calamity due to Paeng
MANILA, Philippines — The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) on Saturday urged President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. to declare a national state of calamity for at least one year following the onslaught of Severe Tropical Storm Paeng (international name: Nalgae).
In an emergency full council meeting, NDRRMC executive director Raymundo Ferrer told the President that the one-year nationwide state of calamity will be needed as 16 out of 17 regions in the country are assessed as high risk for Paeng.
“With this po, in behalf of the chairperson, the NDRRMC respectfully recommends for the following: declare a national state of calamity due to the effects, damage, and projected impacts by Severe Tropical Storm Paeng for a period of one year, unless earlier lifted,” Ferrer said.
The NDRRMC also urged the President to accept international assistance based on needs.
Marcos was amenable to the NDRRMC suggestion, saying the fact that there are many regions affected by Paeng “already justifies the state of calamity.”
However, the President said he would wait for the NDRRMC’s resolution that will be submitted to the Office of the President before making his decision.
The NDRRMC said 45 persons were killed during the onslaught of Paeng. Of these, 40 were killed by landslides in Maguindanao del Norte.
The agency previously reported 67 deaths, but it later lowered the number to 45.
Meanwhile, 14 persons were reported missing and 33 persons were reported injured in the areas hit by Paeng, the NDRRMC added.
Responding to appeals for help, the Inquirer is extending its relief efforts to the families affected by Typhoon Paeng. Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No.: 007960018860 and through Maya