‘Karding’ now a severe tropical storm; Signal No. 2 in 3 areas, Signal No. 1 in NCR
MANILA, Philippine – Tropical Storm Karding (international name: Noru) has intensified into a severe tropical storm (STS) Saturday morning, prompting state meteorologists to raise Tropical Cyclone Wind Warning Signal (TCWS) No. 2 in three areas and Signal No.1 in most parts of Luzon, including Metro Manila.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa), on its mid-day update, said that “Karding” is likely to intensify into a typhoon.
“Karding” was last spotted some 660 kilometers east – southeast of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, with maximum sustained winds of 100 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and gustiness of up to 125 kph, Pagasa said.
Pagasa added that based on its current southwestward trajectory, “Karding” is likely to cross Northern and Central Luzon.
Signal No. 2 is up over the following areas:
- Southeastern portion of Isabela (Dinapigue)
- Northern portion of Aurora (Dinalungan, Casiguran, Dilasag)
- Pollilio Islands
Signal No. 1 was raised over the following areas:
- Southern portion of Cagayan (Peñablanca, Iguig, Tuguegarao City, Enrile, Solana, Tuao, Piat, Amulung, Rizal)
- the rest of Isabela, Quirino, Nueva Vizcaya, the southern portion of Apayao (Conner)
- Mountain Province
- Southern portion of Ilocos Norte (Nueva Era, Badoc, Pinili, Banna, City of Batac, Currimao, Paoay, Marcos)
- Ilocos Sur
- La Union
- rest of Aurora
- Nueva Ecija
- Metro Manila
- northern and central portions of Quezon (Tagkawayan, Lopez, Guinayangan, Gumaca, Pitogo, Unisan, Agdangan, Padre Burgos, Pagbilao, City of Tayabas, Lucban, Sampaloc, Mauban, Atimonan, Plaridel, Perez, Alabat, Quezon, Calauag, Lucena City, General Nakar, Real, Infanta)
- Northern portion of Batangas (Malvar, Balete, City of Tanauan, Santo Tomas, Talisay, Laurel)
- Camarines Norte
- Northern and eastern portions of Camarines Sur (Del Gallego, Ragay, Lupi, Sipocot, Siruma, Tinambac, Goa, Lagonoy, Garchitorena, Caramoan, Presentacion, San Jose)
- Northern portion of Catanduanes (Pandan, Caramoran, Bagamanoc, Panganiban, Viga, Gigmoto)
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.