Int'l rights group 'extremely disappointed, not surprised' by Marcos' decision not to rejoin ICC | Inquirer News

Int’l rights group ‘extremely disappointed, not surprised’ by Marcos’ decision not to rejoin ICC

/ 08:08 PM August 04, 2022
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.'s decision for the Philippines not to rejoin the ICC is an issue of sovereignty, says Press Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and the International Criminal Court. INQUIRER FILES

MANILA, Philippines —A coalition of international rights groups has joined the chorus of criticisms on the government’s refusal to rejoin the International Criminal Court (ICC).

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. earlier revealed that the Philippines no longer intends to be a member state in the Hague-based court, noting that there are already domestic investigations on the previous administration’s bloody war on drugs.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Bongbong Marcos: PH won’t rejoin ICC; critics hit decision

Denouncing this decision, the International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines (ICHRP) said it is “extremely disappointed but not surprised by the new Marcos administration’s decision to keep the Philippines outside the jurisdiction of the ICC.”

“This is part of the continued and ongoing state cover-up of crimes against humanity,” ICHRP Chairperson Peter Murphy said in a statement on Wednesday.

FEATURED STORIES

According to the group, the country’s exclusion from the ICC is “an ominous sign for human rights as the only rationale for not being under its jurisdiction is to shelter perpetrators from prosecutors and the intention to continue committing such crimes.”

The ICC previously launched a probe on the administration of former President Rodrigo Duterte’s alleged human rights violations, zeroing in on its controversial campaign against illegal drugs.

But Duterte has repeatedly refused to cooperate with the ICC as he even declared the Philippines’ withdrawal from Rome Statute, the treaty establishing the said international tribunal.

READ: Duterte does the inevitable, declares PH withdrawal from ICC

“ICHRP has full confidence in the impartiality of the ICC,” Murphy said. “We reiterate that the ICC should vigorously pursue the full investigation of the previous Duterte administration for these alleged crimes against humanity so that, finally, justice may be served and impunity ended.”

RELATED STORIES:

Roque: Duterte has plan for blocking ICC arrest

Duterte’s ‘drug war’ encouraged impunity, failed to protect rights – CHR report

JMS
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bongbong Marcos, Drug war, ICHRP, International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines, International Criminal Court, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.