Bongbong Marcos, Vergeire discuss COVID-19 alert levels | Inquirer News
NO ANNOUNCEMENT YET OF CHANGES, IF ANY, IN THE SYSEM

Bongbong Marcos, Vergeire discuss COVID-19 alert levels

By: - Reporter / @zacariansINQ
/ 03:14 AM July 19, 2022
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire. STORY: Bongbong Marcos, Vergeire discuss COVID-19 alert levels

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire, who is now the officer in charge of the Department of Health, says the Office of the President may make an announcement on Tuesday (INQUIRER FILE PHOTO)

MANILA, Philippines — No announcement has been made as of Monday regarding changes, if any, in the COVID-19 alert level system, but Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said she had discussed the issue with President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

“We have discussed with the president regarding the inter-agency or the IATF and we also talked about alert level systems,” Vergeire said in an interview on ABS-CBN “TeleRadyo” on Monday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Vergeire, who is now the officer in charge of the Department of Health (DOH) said  the Office of the President “may make an announcement by tomorrow [Tuesday].”

“But what I can tell you would be that the DOH gave recommendations and also explained to the president the current alert level system, what has to be improved in our alert level systems, what are the implications, and the current state of the COVID situation,” she said.

FEATURED STORIES

A proposal to change the current number-based alert levels to a “traffic light approach” was not part of the meeting with Marcos.

“What we talked about really would be the metrics of the alert level, what would be its implications, how does it really completely picture or give the picture of our current situation, and how does it relate to the restrictions that we have right now,” Vergeire said.

She added that Marcos raised “rational points” regarding alert level systems.

“He said that we really had a situation before when the alert level system applied, but now we have a different situation where we have other things we need to consider. That is what we talked about,” Vergeire said in Filipino.

Meanwhile, Marcos just asked the DOH to continue whatever it had been doing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Vergeire.

“We need to study the alert level system carefully and also study what is most appropriate for us today based on how we compare our situation today compared to last year and compared to 2020,” she added. “That was the basis for the different directives that were given,”

Vergeire said Marcos was also “very keen on booster doses” to help the country fight COVID-19.

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORIES

National COVID-19 weekly positivity rate rises at 10.6 percent – DOH

Daily COVID-19 cases may reach over 17,000 by end of July

atm
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19 alert levels, Department of Health, Ferdinand Marcos Jr., Maria Rosario Vergeire
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.