AFP deploys more troops in Northern Samar after NPA attack
MANILA, Philippines — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has deployed more troops to Northern Samar following the New People’s Army (NPA) landmine offensive the other day, which injured seven soldiers.
AFP’s Joint Task Force Storm spokesperson Captain Ryan Layug said the military sent more troops to the province as part of the ongoing pursuit operations against the communist guerillas.
“Since our teams are being targeted by NPAs, it would be better that we send additional forces,” Layug said in a statement.
Layug said that the forces deployed for election duty were redeployed to Northern Samar. He, however, said he cannot give the exact number of soldiers sent to the area.
The seven soldiers — all members of the Alpha Company 20th Infantry Battalion of the Philippine Army – were on their way to their immersion camp in Barangay Magsaysay on Tuesday morning (July 5) when they stepped on landmines allegedly set up by communist rebels.
READ: 7 soldiers wounded in Northern Samar town landmine blast
Defense officer-in-charge Jose Faustino Jr. earlier on Wednesday condemned the NPA’s use of landmines, saying this tactic is against international law.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.