Blackout hits Occidental Mindoro as power deal ends
CITY OF CALAPAN—Occidental Mindoro province has been experiencing a blackout since June 25, affecting more than 80,000 residents, Gov. Eduardo Gadiano said Monday, June 27.
The province needs around 27 megawatts (MW), but only 20 MW is provided by the bunker-fired diesel power plant of the Occidental Mindoro Consolidated Power Corporation (OMPC) in San Jose town.
OMPC shut down its plant on June 25 because its power supply agreement with Occidental Mindoro Electric Cooperative ended.
The Inquirer tried to contact Calvin Luther Genotiva, OMPC’s chief operating officer, but he could not be reached immediately for comments.
In a phone interview, the governor said OMPC had announced earlier that even with just a verbal go-signal from the Energy Regulatory Commission, OMPC could resume its supply.
He said the weekend was terrible timing and wished for immediate intervention from the “higher-ups” on Monday, a working day. INQ
Mindanao blackouts blamed on ‘maliciously planted vegetation’
NGCP prepares for blackout scenario as DoE calms jitters
Millions in Central Asia affected by large-scale power blackout
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.