Año: DILG, Cebu province reach ‘compromise’ on masks | Inquirer News
Close  
BUT NO CONFIRMATION, DENIAL FROM GARCIA

Año: DILG, Cebu province reach ‘compromise’ on masks

By: - Reporter / @dexcabalzaINQ
/ 05:15 AM June 25, 2022
The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the provincial government of Cebu have agreed to settle their differences concerning the optional wearing of face masks in the province amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

FILE PHOTO

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the provincial government of Cebu have agreed to settle their differences concerning the optional wearing of face masks in the province amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Speaking to reporters during an event on Thursday, outgoing Interior Secretary Eduado Año said he had talked with Cebu Gov. Gwen Garcia over the phone “and it went well because we both sought a compromise or common solution for this issue.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Año did not say, however, if the governor has agreed to rescind her executive order, and the subsequent ordinance, that made the wearing of face masks in open places optional.

He only said that the provincial government would craft the implementing rules and regulations (IRR) before the ordinance could be implemented and that the governor and other provincial officials also had a dialogue with DILG Central Visayas director Leo Trovela on June 22.

FEATURED STORIES

Crafting the IRR

“At present, the Cebu provincial government is crafting the IRR to rationalize the wearing of face masks. We will wait for their IRR before we hand out a new guidance,” Año said.

However, Garcia, speaking to capitol reporters earlier this week, would neither confirm nor deny that she had spoken to Año.

The DILG, along with other national government agencies, has refused to acknowledge Garcia’s Executive Order No. 16 dated June 9, lifting the mandatory wearing of face masks and limiting it in closed and air-conditioned spaces, saying it went against the guideline set by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases which requires the wearing of face masks in all public places.

The Cebu provincial board adopted Garcia’s EO into Ordinance No. 2022-03 in a special session on June 14, with the ordinance taking effect 15 days after its publication.

Section 4 of the ordinance requires the provincial governor to issue the IRR prior to its enforcement.

The development came a week before Año leaves the DILG top post, with Benhur Abalos, the former chair of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority, set to succeed him.

Año earlier said he wanted to address the issue with the Cebu provincial government before the new administration takes over on June 30.

—WITH A REPORT FROM DALE ISRAEL, INQ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter


For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cebu, COVID-19, DILG, Eduardo Año, mask
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.