DOH: Rise in COVID-19 cases nationwide 'not a surge' | Inquirer News

DOH: Rise in COVID-19 cases nationwide ‘not a surge’

/ 01:30 PM June 18, 2022

Robredo: 191 of 410 people tested through OVP’s Swab Cab positive for COVID

MANILA, Philippines — The rise in COVID-19 cases nationwide cannot be classified as a surge, Department of Health (DOH) Undersecretary and spokesperson Maria Rosario Vergeire said on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Let us not call it a surge. When you talk about a surge, it’s a sudden increase in the number of cases,” she said at the Laging Handa briefing.

“Kapag tinignan po, tuloy-tuloy po ang pagtaas ng mga kaso albeit medyo mabagal naman po ang pagtaas pero kailangan lahat tayo cautious.”

FEATURED STORIES

(If you look at the numbers, the reported cases are increasing gradually but we still have to be cautious.) 

doh health protocol breached

Department of Health (DOH) Undersecretary and spokesperson Maria Rosario Vergeire

Vergeire noted that around 350 COVID-19 infections per day are being reported nationwide, which she said is a 50 to 60 percent leap from previous periods.

Meanwhile, the daily average of cases in Metro Manila has likewise risen from 102 to 170, according to the health official. 

“Although there are severe and critical cases being reported pero hindi po siya ganun ka-significant pa sa ngayon,” she added. 

 (Although there are severe and critical cases being reported, it isn’t too significant as of now.)

Most health facilities across the archipelago have admissions less than their 20 percent capacity, but Vergeire disclosed that the DOH is closely monitoring increasing numbers of hospital utilization in several areas of Metro Manila, Calabarzon, and Caraga Administrative Region. 

She stressed anew that the rise in COVID-19 infections might have been triggered by the presence of new and highly transmissible Omicron subvariants in the country, as well as the increased mobility and “waning immunity” of the general population. 

ADVERTISEMENT

Alert level 2 still up in 32 Quezon towns due to low vaccination rate

(REUTERS/file photo)

The Department of Health on Wednesday said more than 69.8 million Filipinos had been fully vaccinated against the virus, but only around 14.6 million have availed of their first booster dose. 

 

RELATED STORIES:

DOH: Only 580,000 availed second COVID-19 booster shot as of June 13

Metro Manila may be put under Alert Level 2 due to uptick in COVID-19 cases

 gsg

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, DoH
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.