Suspect in robbery, killing of 3 in Rizal, nabbed in Tarlac
LUCENA CITY – The suspect in the massacre of a mother and two children in Cainta town in Rizal province on April 6 was arrested in Tarlac province on Monday, April 11, a police report said Tuesday.
Police Brigadier General Antonio Yarra, Police Regional Office 4-A director, in a report issued on Monday night, identified the arrested suspect as one Vergel Navalta.
Yarra said Navalta was nabbed by police operatives in Moncada town, Tarlac but did not provide details on the operation.
According to the police report, Navalta was behind the killings of Angelica Manaloto, 24; her daughter Nicagel, 4; and her nephew Renz Orly, 7.
The victims were found dead from multiple stab wounds on their necks inside their rented apartment in Barangay (village) San Juan in Cainta.
Police also said a mobile phone, a Huawei tablet, and an undetermined amount of money were missing from the apartment.
Navalta was identified by neighbors of the victims from the security camera footage gathered by the investigators.
Police said the neighbors were familiar with Navalta since he previously resided in the same apartment building that was rented by his cousin.
The operatives were able to recover the clothes worn by Navalta during the incident and the bloodstained knife that he probably used in the stabbing, police said.
Report said the suspect was arrested by virtue of a pending warrant of arrest for the crime of simple theft.
According to the police, Navalta was also involved in murder and rape cases in February this year and on February 6, 2015, both in Bacoor, Cavite.
Navalta was detained and is facing corresponding criminal charges for robbery and multiple homicide.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.