Deployment ban on domestic workers to Saudi Arabia still in effect — DOLE
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Thursday clarified that the deployment of Filipino workers to Saudi Arabia is still suspended.
DOLE Information and Publication Service (IPS) director Rolly Francia refuted a fake government advisory stating that the ban had already been lifted.
“It is fake! There is no iota of truth to the content of that advisory,” said Francia in a statement.
“The suspension of deployment remains,” he added.
According to Francia, POEA Administrator Bernard Olalia had also confirmed that he had not signed nor issued such advisory, adding that it meant “apparently to mislead or confuse the public on DOLE policies.”
Francia further stated that the document was made by repurposing an old advisory and changing its wording to make it appear as a valid issuance.
“Thus, it also suggests an intention to compromise the credibility of POEA and injure the current leadership of the agency,” he added.
Meanwhile, Francia said that DOLE is now coordinating with law enforcement agencies to track down the source of the false advisory.
“We intend to apply the full force of the law to whoever is behind this very criminal act which could undermine the welfare of our migrant workers,” Francia said.
The POEA currently remains to operate as an attached agency of DOLE whose functions will be assumed by the newly formed Department of Migrant Workers once it is fully constituted pursuant to the law that created it.
Demand for OFWs increasing, says POEA
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.