Virginia Giuffre's lawsuit vs Prince Andrew is dismissed; Britain says no public funds in settlement | Inquirer News
Close  

Virginia Giuffre’s lawsuit vs Prince Andrew is dismissed; Britain says no public funds in settlement

/ 08:00 AM March 09, 2022
FILE PHOTO: Britain's Britain's Prince Andrew, Duke of York, looks on during the funeral of Britain's Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth, who died at the age of 99, in Windsor, Britain, April 17, 2021. Chris Jackson/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

FILE PHOTO: Britain’s Britain’s Prince Andrew, Duke of York, looks on during the funeral of Britain’s Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth, who died at the age of 99, in Windsor, Britain, April 17, 2021. Chris Jackson/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

NEW YORK — A U.S. judge on Tuesday ordered the dismissal of Virginia Giuffre’s lawsuit accusing Britain’s Prince Andrew of sexually abusing her when she was underage, as Britain’s finance ministry confirmed that no public funds were used in their settlement.

The dismissal by U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan in Manhattan federal court had been requested by Giuffre and Andrew, and was expected following the settlement announced on Feb. 15 between Giuffre and Queen Elizabeth’s second son.

ADVERTISEMENT

That accord included an undisclosed payment, with Andrew making a “substantial donation” to Giuffre’s charity in support of victims’ rights.

Andrew, the Duke of York, did not admit wrongdoing in agreeing to settle the civil lawsuit. He has not been accused of criminal wrongdoing.

FEATURED STORIES

The finance ministry issued its comment after The Sun, a British tabloid, said Andrew’s older brother Prince Charles was bankrolling most of the settlement, with the queen chipping in.

Giuffre’s case had focused on Andrew’s friendship with the late Jeffrey Epstein, the financier and sex offender who the 38-year-old Giuffre said also sexually abused her.

Andrew, 62, denied Giuffre’s accusations that he forced her to have sex when she was 17 at the London home of Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s mansion in Manhattan, and Epstein’s private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The allegations and Andrew’s relationship with Epstein severely damaged the prince’s reputation, forcing him to give up his royal patronages and no longer be known as “His Royal Highness.”

In a statement announcing the settlement, Andrew said he regretted his association with Epstein, and accepted that Giuffre had suffered as an abuse victim.

Epstein killed himself at age 66 in a Manhattan jail in August 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges. Maxwell is seeking a new trial after being convicted in December of recruiting and grooming underage girls for Epstein to abuse.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Britain finance ministry, Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein, Prince Andrew, sex abuse charges, Virginia Giuffre
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.