Cebu to allow full passenger capacity in PUVs starting March 1 | Inquirer News
Close  

Cebu to allow full passenger capacity in PUVs starting March 1

/ 11:42 AM March 03, 2022
Public transportation Cebu

Public transportation in the Philippines | INQUIRER.net stock photo

CEBU CITY–-The Cebu provincial government has decided to allow public transportation to carry passengers at “full capacity” as the local government eases restrictions after a decline in COVID-19 cases.

Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia said that starting midnight of March 1, all buses, jeepneys, modern jeepneys, taxis, and other public transport vehicles in Cebu province would be allowed 100 percent seating capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT

“As the situation has evolved, so should we. And with the continuing drop of cases and less severe cases as it is, we believe that this also calls for less stringent regulations,” she said.

The governor held a dialogue with operators of public utility vehicles and local officials of the Land Transportation Office, the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board, and the Cebu Police Provincial Office, which later agreed to ease the restrictions in public vehicles.

FEATURED STORIES

The dialogue also resulted in the scrapping of the “no aircon policy” in buses, which started during the Delta-driven surge in August last year.

Basic health protocols, such as wearing face masks, however, still have to be observed, but the use of air purifiers for drivers and conductors will be optional.

Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama, during the celebration of the 85th Charter Day celebration last Thursday, announced the lifting of all COVID-19 restrictions in local establishments.

In his executive order labeled “Oplan Kagawasan (Oplan Freedom),” the mayor lifted the “no vaccine, no entry” rule, which means that all establishments in the city were open to everyone regardless of their vaccination status.

The curfew has been scrapped, except for minors, who were prohibited from going out of their homes from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.

Despite the ease in restrictions, Rama appealed to everyone to continue observing the basic health protocols to prevent another spread of COVID-19.

In his order, Rama emphasized that the city would incentivize and promote the vaccination program even though establishments were no longer required to ask for vaccination cards upon entry of customers.

There was no specific mention regarding the allowed capacity of opened establishments so long as they maintain physical distancing.

lzb

Subscribe to our daily newsletter


For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cebu, COVID-19, full capacity, provincial government, public transportation, restrictions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.