Palace: No formal papers yet on e-sabong permit suspension
MANILA, Philippines — There is yet no document that would support or formalize the suspension of e-sabong or online cockfighting permits in the country, Malacañang said Tuesday.
On this matter, there should be a Senate resolution recommending the suspension, which will be sent to the Philippine Gaming Corporation (Pagcor), which will then give its advice to the Office of the President, Cabinet Secretary and acting presidential spokesman Karlo Nograles said.
“As of the moment, wala pa tayong any indication na mayroong Senate resolution to that effect, given to Pagcor or even to the Office of the President, so wala pa tayong abiso” he said in a Palace briefing.
“These are all reports that we read in the newspaper, these are reports that we hear, but there is no official document that has been transmitted either to the Office of the President or to Malacañang or to Pagcor. There are no papers to show or point to anything,” Nograles added.
Nograles made the statement after he was asked if President Rodrigo Duterte has already suspended e-sabong permits after he reportedly agreed on the suspension in light of the disappearance of at least 31 “sabungeros.”
It was Senate President Vicente Sotto III who claimed that Duterte has approved the suspension of e-sabong permits.
Sotto moved during last week’s Senate panel hearing that a resolution be filed by Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa’s committee calling for the suspension of online sabong operations until the disappearance of the “sabungeros” is resolved.
Sotto’s motion was approved by the committee.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.