Duterte OK with suspension of online ‘sabong’ permits – Sotto
LUCENA CITY — President Rodrigo Duterte agrees with the suspension of e-sabong or online cockfighting licenses in light of the disappearance of at least 31 “sabungeros,” Senate President Vicente Sotto III said Monday.
“Sinabihan kanina si Sen. Ronald dela Rosa, sabi raw ni Presidente Duterte, payag siya na suspendihin ang lisensya ng mga e-sabong na yan,” Sotto said at a town hall meeting here when asked about the online sabong issue.
(Sen. Ronald dela Rosa was told earlier by President Duterte that he will allow the suspension of licenses of online cockfighting or e-sabong.)
Sotto is in Quezon province until Tuesday with his running mate, presidential candidate Senator Panfilo Lacson, to woo voters here.
Dela Rosa is the chairman of the Senate public order and dangerous drugs committee, which is investigating the disappearance of 31 individuals involved in cockfighting, some of whom went missing last year.
Sotto moved during last week’s Senate panel hearing that a resolution be filed by Dela Rosa’s committee calling for the suspension of online sabong operations until the disappearance of the “sabungeros” is resolved.
Sotto’s motion was seconded by Lacson and eventually adopted by the Senate committee.
Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) Vice President of E-Sabong Licensing Department of Pagcor, Diane Erica Jogno, told senators then that the agency has no objection to their call.
She, however, said Pagcor will also seek the approval of the Office of the President.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.