Duterte praises Duque: Good job, Filipinos will never forget | Inquirer News
Close  

Duterte praises Duque: ‘Good job, Filipinos will never forget that’

/ 10:55 PM February 14, 2022

MANILA, Philippines — “You have done good in your post and the Filipinos will never forget that,” President Rodrigo Duterte, speaking in a mix of English and Filipino, told Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Monday during his weekly taped “Talk to the People” briefing.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s a sacrifice really for you, to continue doing it, and I had to ask you several times to stay on the job because we need you,” Duterte added.

Critics — including some lawmakers — had previously called on Duque to resign from his post, mainly for two things:

FEATURED STORIES

  • What the deemed as the poor handling of the Department of Health (DOH) of the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Alleged irregularities in the handling of DOH funds.

In August 2021, during the height of the resignation calls, Duque said he had no problem with resigning from his post but said that he was “requested not to.”

On several occasions, Duterte had publicly defended Duque, even saying that he would reject Duque’s resignation as the health secretary had done “nothing wrong.”

Photo of Rodrigo Duterte and Francisco Duque III for story: Duterte praises Duque: Good job, Filipinos will never forget that

President Rodrigo Duterte speaks as Health Secretary Francisco Duque III gazes at him in a previous briefing in Malacañang. (File photo)

RELATED STORIES

Calls mount for Duque to resign

Duque: ‘I have no problem resigning, but I was requested not to’

Duterte won’t accept it if Duque resigns: He did ‘nothing wrong’

ATM

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19 response, DoH, Francisco Duque III, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.