Marcos' disqualification cases remain at Comelec's First Division | Inquirer News

Marcos’ disqualification cases remain at Comelec’s First Division

/ 07:05 PM February 10, 2022
Philippine presidential candidate Ferdinand Marcos Jr., son of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, gestures as he delivers his speech during the first day of campaign period for the 2022 presidential election, at the Philippine Arena, in Bulacan province, Philippines, February 8, 2022. REUTERS/Lisa Marie David

Philippine presidential candidate Ferdinand Marcos Jr., son of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, gestures as he delivers his speech during the first day of campaign period for the 2022 presidential election, at the Philippine Arena, in Bulacan province, Philippines, February 8, 2022. REUTERS/Lisa Marie David

MANILA, Philippines — The consolidated disqualification cases against Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. will remain at the Commission on Elections’ (Comelec) First Division even after a reshuffle designating Commissioner Socorro Inting as acting chairperson.

According to Comelec, Inting will preside over the new first division, with Commissioner Aimee Ferolino as member. Meanwhile, the Second Division will be presided by Commissioner Marlon Casquejo, with Commissioner Rey Bulay as a member.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Comelec said cases not yet raffled to a division, or those filed after February 9, will be raffled to the newly constituted divisions.

READ: Comelec’s First Division dismisses Marcos DQ cases for ‘lack of merit’

FEATURED STORIES

“Meanwhile, cases respectively raffled to the former First and Second Divisions will be retained in the concerned Division in order to ensure the orderly, speedy and judicious disposition of the cases,” the poll agency said in a statement.

The consolidated disqualification cases against Marcos were originally raffled to the Comelec’s First Division, which was previously composed of Ferolino, Casquejo, and recently retired Commissioner Rowena Guanzon. With Guanzon’s retirement, the “Former First Division” that will proceed to handle Marcos’ disqualification cases will be composed of Casquejo as presiding commissioner and Ferolino as a member.

Meanwhile, the “Former Second Division” will be composed of Inting as presiding commissioner and Bulay as a member, the Comelec said.

According to Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez, Inting will serve as acting chairperson until a new chairperson has been appointed and assumes office.

“Given her stellar performance in helming the gender and development initiatives of the Commission these past years, and in streamlining various internal processes in the resolution of cases, we in the Commission are confident of the Honorable Acting Chair’s leadership moving forward,” Jimenez said.

EDV
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: #VotePH2022, Comelec, Comelec First Division, Comelec Second Division, Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr., Socorro Inting
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.