45 cruise passengers with COVID-19 disembark in Italy | Inquirer News

45 cruise passengers with COVID-19 disembark in Italy

/ 01:25 PM January 04, 2022
45 cruise passengers with COVID-19 disembark in Italy

A picture taken in the northern Italian port of Genoa on August 16, 2020 shows the MSC Grandiosa cruise liner leaving port after six-and-half months of inactivity due to the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, pandemic. – The first major cruise ship to set sail in the Mediterranean was poised to depart from Genoa as Italy’s struggling travel industry hopes to regain ground after a bruising coronavirus hiatus, representing a high-stakes test for the global sector in the key Mediterranean market and beyond. (Photo by MIGUEL MEDINA / AFP)

ROME — Some 45 cruise ship passengers disembarked in the Italian port of Genoa on Monday after contracting coronavirus, while others who tested positive remained aboard to be let off later, the operator said.

Media reports had suggested anywhere between 120 and 150 people were infected onboard MSC Grandiosa, which arrived in Genoa on Monday morning from the French port of Marseille.

ADVERTISEMENT

MSC denied “incorrect” media reports, but would not say how many cases had been picked up during routine testing.

“Today we are disembarking 45 positive cases in Genoa,” it said in a statement.

FEATURED STORIES

A spokesman later told AFP that an unspecified number of other passengers who tested positive were still onboard and would be let off at future stops.

The company said most were asymptomatic and they and their close contacts were immediately isolated in cabins with balconies and provided with medical attention.

Port authorities in Genoa confirmed to AFP an unspecified number of passengers had been disembarked, with Italians from the north of the country to be taken to their homes and foreigners transferred to care facilities while they isolate.

They said the cruise ship would continue its journey to the Italian port of Civitavecchia where positive patients living in central or southern Italy would be disembarked and taken home to isolate.

All transfers and stays in Covid facilities were being paid for by MSC Cruises, the authorities said.

The cruise industry worldwide is struggling to get back on its feet after voyages were halted at the start of the pandemic and several vessels were hit by outbreaks.

RELATED STORIES

Carnival says most itineraries unchanged even as Omicron cases rise

Brazilian cruise ships pause operations after COVID-19 outbreaks

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Cruise, Health, Italy, Omicron variant
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.