Siargao death toll due to Typhoon Odette reaches 19 — Matugas
MANILA, Philippines — The death toll in Siargao Island, one of the areas hardest-hit by Typhoon Odette, has reached 19, Surigao del Norte 1st District Rep. Francisco “Bingo” Matugas II reported Wednesday.
“Ang numero ko dito sa Siargao is 19… So far as per information, wala,” Matugas said in an interview with Teleradyo when asked if there were any tourists who perished during the onslaught of the typhoon.
(Our figures here in Siargao is 19 deaths… So far as per information, there were no tourists involved.)
“We conducted pre-emptive evacuation so naka-evacuate lahat (so everyone was able to evacuate),” he added.
Matugas said distribution of relief goods are still ongoing in different barangays and municipalities in the island. However, he said some island barangays are hard to reach due to transport and communication limitations.
Further, Matugas said there is still no electricity in Siargao Island while only selected areas have limited telecommunication systems available.
“‘Yung panawagan namin dito ay sana makapagpadala ng mga food packs, water, and yung number three na importante ay shelter. Ninety percent ng mga tao dito wala ng bahay,” Matugas said.
(Our call is for food packs and water to be sent here. Our number three need is shelter since 90 percent of the residents here no longer have a home.)
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.