Nuezca's death wasn't preceded by anything suspicious — BuCor | Inquirer News
Close  

Nuezca’s death wasn’t preceded by anything suspicious — BuCor

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 04:06 PM December 06, 2021

Body of detained former police officer Jonel Nuezca. Contributed photo

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) has ruled out any suspicious circumstances leading to the hospitalization and death of convicted murderer Jonel Nuezca.

BuCor spokesperson Asec. Gabriel Chaclag said on Monday that upon an investigation of Nuezca’s peers in the National Bilibid Prison (NBP), it was determined that the prisoner had no enemies and nothing suspicious had occurred before his hospitalization.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Sa initial investigation po natin, pagtatanong sa kaniyang mga kasamahan ay talaga naman pong natural cause ang itinuturo ng kaniyang pagkamatay dahil wala naman pong nakitang kaaway, wala pong suspicious na incidents before he was brought to the hospital,” he said in a Laging Handa public briefing.

(In our initial investigation, when we asked his peers, it is seen that the cause of death is of natural causes because Nuezca had no enemies and there were no suspicious incidents before he was brought to the hospital.)

FEATURED STORIES

Nuezca was brought to the NBP hospital Tuesday last week at 6:30 p.m. by his cellmates after he collapsed while walking outside his dormitory.

He said Nuezca was declared dead at 6:44 p.m..

Initial medical examination also did not find anything unusual, Chaclag said.

“‘Yung initial na medical examination, ‘yung physical examination ng mga attending doctors, wala po silang nakita na signs of violence,” he said.

“Doon naman naman sa mga statements ng kaniyang kasamahan, mga kaibigan niya mismo itong mga nagsasabi, lahat po sila iisa lang ang sinasabi. Hindi naman siguro masasabi natin na sila ay talagang nag-usap-usap para iisa lang ang statement dahil malalaman at malalaman natin ‘yun,” Chaclag said.

(The statements of his peers are the same. We can’t say that they coordinated their statements. We would know if they did.)

The BuCor believes that Nuezca succumbed to cardiac arrest, he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, they will still wait for the autopsy report, which is currently still with the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

Nuezca, 47, has been at the NBP for three months. He was found guilty of two counts of murder by the Tarlac Court last August 26 and meted the penalty of up to 40 years in prison.

On Dec. 20 last year, Nuezca made the headlines after a video of him shooting to death Sonya Gregorio and her son Frank Anthony was posted on social media.

Nuezca’s body was taken to Eastern Funeral in Alabang, Muntinlupa.

EDV/ac

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: autopsy, Bucor, death, Jonel Nuezca
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.