MANILA, Philippines—The former police officer Jonel Nuezca convicted for killing Sonya Gregorio and her son Frank Anthony in Tarlac is dead, an official from the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) said Wednesday.
BuCor Spokesperson Gabriel Chaclag said Nuezca was brought to the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) hospital Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. by his cellmates after he collapsed while walking outside his dormitory.
He said Nuezca was declared dead at 6:44 p.m.. The cause of death is still unknown, said Chaclag.
“Investigation is ongoing to determine if there is foul play in the incident,” he said.
Justice Undersecretary Deo Marco said the DOJ has asked BuCor to provide them a copy of the result of their investigation.
“Per Assistant Secretary Gabriel Chaclag, they are already looking into it. I asked to be given a copy of the report of their investigation,” Marco told reporters adding that the National Bureau of Investigation will conduct the autopsy.
Nuezca’s body was taken to Eastern Funeral in Alabang, Muntinlupa.
The 47-year-old Nuezca has been at the NBP for at least three months. He was found guilty of two counts of murder by the Tarlac Court last August 26 and meted the penalty of up to 40 years in prison.
On Dec. 20 last year, Nuezca hogged the headlines after a video of him shooting to death Sonya and her son was posted on social media.
The video started with an argument over “boga” or a bamboo cannon. Nuezca’s daughter shouted “my father is a policeman” to which Sonya replied, “I don’t care.” Nuezca then drew his 9mm Pietro Beretta and shot the mother and son at close range. The video went viral on social media.