Trillanes expects ICC to resume investigation on Duterte's war on drugs | Inquirer News
Close  

Trillanes expects ICC to resume investigation on Duterte’s war on drugs

/ 12:40 PM November 20, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Former senator Antonio Trillanes IV said he expects the International Criminal Court (ICC) to carry on with its investigation on President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs campaign.

He made this statement shortly after the Netherlands-based court said it is suspending its investigation on Duterte’s war on drugs which came after the Philippine government asked the ICC to postpone its investigation on the alleged crimes against humanity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trillanes said the ICC’s move is part of its “due process in determining whether the government’s extrajudicial killings investigation is genuine.”

“In a few months, the ICC will also find out that it is just part of the cover up of Duterte and, therefore, we should expect it to resume its investigation,” he said in a statement on Saturday.

FEATURED STORIES

The Duterte administration previously asked for the probe to be deferred to give way for domestic efforts in investigating the alleged crimes.

However, Trillanes said: “With the deferment request, the Duterte administration formally recognized ICC’s jurisdiction over it, which is a total reversal of their earlier assertions,” Trillanes said.

In a report on its deferral of investigation, ICC Prosecutor Karim Khan said that they will request the country for additional information to determine the “scope and effect of the deferral request” and evaluate whether they should continue the investigation.

However, Kham added that the prosecution will continue its analysis of information already in its possession, and new information it may receive from third parties, and “actively assess the need for applications to the pre-trial chamber for authority to conduct necessary investigative steps for the preservation of evidence.”

je

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: drug war campaign, ICC, Rodrigo Duterte, Trillanes
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.