Duque abides by Duterte memo, to skip next Senate hearing on pandemic fund mess | Inquirer News
Close  

Duque abides by Duterte memo, to skip next Senate hearing on pandemic fund mess

/ 10:31 AM November 03, 2021
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III. Screengrab from PCOO

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III. Screengrab from PCOO

MANILA, Philippines — Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Wednesday said he was advised by the Palace to continue abiding by a memorandum order barring Cabinet secretaries and executive officials from attending the ongoing Senate blue ribbon committee investigation.

“Ang paalala sa akin is we have to abide by the memorandum. So that is what we did and we followed that memorandum order,” Duque said during the Kapihan sa Manila Bay forum when asked about his earlier plan to discuss the memorandum with Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea.

ADVERTISEMENT

(The advice to me was we have to abide by the memorandum. So that is what we did and we followed that memorandum order.)

In light of this, Duque said he and other Department of Health (DOH) officials will not be attending the committee’s 14th hearing on Thursday.

FEATURED STORIES

“I’m not [attending] unless there’s a reversal or a decision on the memorandum order. Mind you, I attended 100 percent of all the Senate blue [ribbon committee] hearings [before the memorandum was issued],” the health chief added.

It can be recalled that Duque, during the DOH’s budget hearing last Oct. 13, said he agrees that the executive branch should not “block” Cabinet officials from attending the probe but sought for certain adjustments in the conduct of the hearings.

The Senate is expected to file a petition before the Supreme Court questioning the memorandum.

The blue ribbon committee has been investigating the government’s purchases of medical goods, including allegedly overpriced face masks, shields and other supplies, at the height of the pandemic last year.

During the course of the inquiry, senators have repeatedly questioned the DOH’s transfer of P42 billion to the Procurement Service of the Department of Budget and Management for the purchase of pandemic response supplies.

A portion of this amount went to over P8.6 billion worth of contracts awarded to Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corp. Senators doubted the financial capacity of the firm since it was only established in 2019 with a small capital of P625,000 when it secured the supply deals.

EDV

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, pandemic funds, Senate blue ribbon committee
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.