Mangudadatu believes he was the target of blast near Army detachment in Maguindanao
CAMP SIONGCO, MAGUINDANAO – Maguindanao Rep. Esmael Mangudadatu who is running for governor here in next year’s elections said he was the target of a roadside bomb that exploded on Saturday evening near an Army detachment in Maguindanao as his convoy was passing by.
Lt. Colonel John Paul Baldomar, speaking for the Army’s 6th Infantry Division, said the blast occurred at 6:30 p.m. near an Army base in Sitio Pansol, Barangay Macasampen, Guindulungna, Maguindanao.
The Army and the police, however, could not say yet if the suspected improvised bomb was meant for Mangudadatu or not.
Mangudadatu said he believed he could be the target but did not elaborate.
“Muntik na (almost),” he said on his Facebook post.
Mangdudadatu said one of the cars in his 30-vehicle convoy was almost hit by the explosion that came amid a heavy downpour.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, so far.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.