Año: No shortlist yet for next PNP chief | Inquirer News
Close  

Año: No shortlist yet for next PNP chief

/ 05:18 AM October 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Interior Secretary Eduardo Año has yet to submit a shortlist of candidates for the next chief of the Philippine National Police, contrary to what presidential spokesperson Harry Roque earlier said.

“I have not yet submitted my recommended list for the next chief PNP. I’ll submit the list in the last week of October,’’ Año said in a message on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, the incumbent chief of the PNP, is set to vacate his post on November 13 when he reaches the mandatory retirement age of 56.

“Seniority, merit, and service reputation will be my basis on coming up with a recommendation,” Año said.

FEATURED STORIES

Eleazar, a graduate of the Philippine Military Academy Class of 1987, is the 26th PNP chief and the sixth top cop under the Duterte administration. The appointment of a PNP chief requires confirmation from the Commission on Appointments, composed of members of Congress. —Dexter Cabalza

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Eduardo Año, Guillermo Eleazar, PNP‎
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.