21 towns, cities in Ilocos Sur revert to ECQ | Inquirer News
Close  

21 towns, cities in Ilocos Sur revert to ECQ

/ 05:24 PM September 20, 2021

Ambulances from different areas in Ilocos Sur province that carry COVID-19 patients have to wait for hours outside the provincial hospital for treatment due to bed shortage.(Photo courtesy of Dr. Shara Antonette Cañero/Ilocos Sur provincial hospital)

LAOAG CITY—Amid the clamor from medical workers for stricter curbs amid the rising number of COVID-19 cases, most of the towns and cities in Ilocos Sur province would be placed under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) for two weeks beginning Wednesday (Sept. 22), according to Gov. Ryan Luis Singson.

These are the cities of Vigan and Candon, and the towns of Bantay, Cabugao, Caoayan, Gregorio del Pilar, Magsingal, Narvacan, Salcedo, San Ildefonso, San Juan, San Vicente, Santa Catalina, Santiago, Santa, Sinait, Sta. Cruz, Sta. Lucia, Sta. Maria, Sto. Domingo and Suyo.

ADVERTISEMENT

In an executive order released Monday, Singson said the rise in COVID-19 cases in the province was “very high” and “alarming” despite interventions and implementation of measures.

Fueled by the Delta variant, the province has 3,285 active infections out of the 11,261 total COVID-19 cases recorded since the pandemic struck last year.

FEATURED STORIES

All medical associations and societies of health workers in Ilocos Sur had appealed for a ”timeout” last week as the province’s healthcare system had reached “critical” capacity, Singson said.

The decision to place 21 of the 34 towns and cities in the province under ECQ was made after a consultative meeting Friday with health organizations, the governor said.

“It was determined and recommended that there is a need to reclassify the present status of local government units in the province with high COVID-19 cases to have more stringent quarantine restrictions,” he said.

While under ECQ, the movement of people will be limited to the access only of essential services with all households to be placed under “strict home quarantine.”

Singson said there would be a heightened presence of uniformed personnel in ECQ areas to enforce restrictions. Checkpoints will be set up in all provincial borders, including major entry and exit points in towns, cities, and villages.

Unauthorized mass gatherings are prohibited while a liquor ban curfew would be imposed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m, said Singson.

Singson also ordered the suspension of public transportation for two weeks in areas to be covered by the strictest containment classification in the country. INQ

lzb

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, ECQ, enhanced community quarantine, Gov. Ryan Luis Singson, Ilocos Sur, medical workers, Regions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.